Liposuction/ liposculpture involves the targetted removal of localised fat cells from the body, by inserting a cannula attached to a specially-designed suction pump inserted into the correct layer of fat under the skin. The term liposculpture is more commonly used when liposuction is used to reshape the female figure or define the male physique.
Aesthetica Melbourne has more than 20 years experience in performing body-changing (and life-changing) liposuction and body sculpting procedures. These procedures are a highly effective solution to remove those problem areas and change your body shape.
Our doctors can consult and provide all levels of liposuction, from small area, minimally invasive, local anaesthesia procedures, through to large area (full body) liposuction with general anaesthesia, these procedures are performed in an accredited day surgery.
Number of procedures/treatments required usually 1
Sedation – General anaesthetic not necessary but can be done.
Most procedures are performed with sedation depending on the patient comfort
Recovery time 3-10 days depending on areas and number of areas
Cost approx starts $4,900
Treatment options or considerations Accent RF, Body Flow Zero Fat , abdominoplasty, diet, exercise, Body wraps
What is the liposuction procedure and how does it work?
Liposuction works because it removes fat cells permanently. After puberty our bodies do not create new fat cells, instead when you gain weight
you expand the fat cells you already have. Liposuction permanently removes fat cells to improve your body’s contour. Should you gain weight after liposuction, it goes to the fat cells that remain in your body. The fatty deposits that existed prior to liposuction are unlikely to balloon up out of proportion to the surrounding areas. For that reason it is better to think of liposculpture a permanent body contouring or body reshaping rather than a permanent weight loss or fat removal procedure.
The most frequent areas treated by liposuction in men are the waist, chest, abdomen and neckline. In women they include the upper and lower back, arms, thighs, hips, buttocks, abdomen, knees, lower leg, cheeks, and double chins.
Is liposuction the right procedure for me?
The best candidates for liposculpture should have firm elastic skin, be in good health and have tried to eliminate bulges through diet and exercise. You should have realistic expectations and understand that liposuction is not a substitute for weight loss or a healthy lifestyle.
The Aesthetica consultation process
During your no-obligation consultation an Aesthetica Doctor or qualified nurse will discuss your requirements, the likely results and access your suitability for the liposculpture procedure.
If your body contouring needs are relatively minor you may well find that you are a suitable candidate for our non-surgical fat reduction and skin tightening treatment RF body shaping.
What happens during the liposuction procedure?
In the liposuction procedure a suction tube is inserted through a tiny incision (approx 3-4mm) placed in an inconspicuous location on the skin. Under vacuum, fat cells are extracted through this tube. The result is a re-sculpting of bulging areas into more attractive contours.
At Aesthetica we perform the tumescent liposuction technique, where large amounts of diluted local anesthetic and adrenalin are infused into the fatty area, resulting in numbness of the area and constriction of blood vessels. This leads to a painless and easy removal of unwanted fatty bulges. It also reduces swelling and bruising after the liposuction procedure.
Aesthetica liposuction is carried out without awareness, discomfort or pain to the patient. In many cases for safety and body-shape reasons the procedures are conducted with general anesthesia.
What happens after my liposuction procedure?
You will be required to wear a compression garment for at least 2 weeks after your procedure. We supply the garments as part of your Aesthetica liposculpture package.
The garments are made out of strong lycra type material and are designed to hide under your clothing so no one need know you are wearing them. Stockings may be required to be worn for up to 6 weeks or longer when the lower legs are treated.
After your liposculpture procedure you will be given some medication to prevent swelling and infection and it is important you take this as instructed. You may experience some discomfort and stiffness initially, but this will gradually disappear.
* Most patients tolerate the discomfort without the need for pain killers (e.g. Panadol).
* After the first day we recommend you walk for at least 30 minutes each day and otherwise continue with your normal activities.
* If you should go on a long car or plane trip, you must walk for at least 5 minutes every hour during the trip.
* You can return to non strenuous work within 2 days.
* You should wait at least 10 days before attempting more intense activity and if discomfort is experienced with any activity it should be discontinued.
Aesthetica also offers 3 complimentary massage and Bodyflow treatments to assist with healing and lymphatic drainage.
How will I look and feel after this surgical procedure?
After your liposculpture procedure you may feel drowsy from the anesthetic. It is important to have someone drive you home and stay overnight. The next day you must come back to Aesthetica for your first post operative consultation even though you may be feeling some localized pain.
You may experience the following after your procedure:
* Pain and stiffness is usually minimal and may last for several days to 3 weeks.
* Tenderness at the treatment site may be felt for a number of weeks post operatively. This will vary depending upon several factors including the extent of the procedure and each patient’s personal pain tolerance.
* Numbness often occurs, if it does it usually disappears after several months.
* Bruising will be seen as skin discoloration usually black, blue or yellow and can last for 2-3 weeks.
* Swelling occurs in treatment areas especially knees and ankles and can last several weeks.
* If you experience undue pain it may indicate a complication so your Aesthetica Doctor must be notified immediately.
What risks are associated with the liposculpture procedure?
* Infection is rare and can be treated with antibiotics or rarely may require a small incision
* Allergic reactions can occur with any medications. It is important if you experience any reactions including rashes or itch to immediately notify a doctor or go to your nearest casualty department.
* Heamatoma (collection of blood) or seroma (watery fluid) may develop and could require aspiration.
* Skin loss (sloughing) is extremely rare.
* Deep vein thrombosis is extremely rare, especially when Liposuction is performed under local anesthesia.
* Texture irregularities or lumpy areas may rarely occur and remain for a prolonged period. These problems can be improved with our post operative massage.
Patients are advised that while every effort is made to achieve a perfect contour and smooth result, this is not always possible due to a number of factors such as skin elasticity, skin quality, volume of fat to be removed, post-op compression, bone and muscle contours, previous scars, previous procedures etc.
Will liposuction get rid of cellulite?
Liposuction is not a treatment for cellulite, although many patients do notice an improvement in the appearance of cellulite after the fat cells are removed. If you are looking for a cellulite treatment you may want to investigate our RF Cellulite Reduction treatment. Alternately we can provide a complete package designed specifically for your body, skin condition and desired outcome that includes liposculpture, cellulite treatment and lifestyle management if required. Accent RF is a great option for cellulite and excess skin
How much does liposuction cost?
Every case is different and every patient has their own specific requirements and expectations, therefore it is hard to give an exacting price for every procedure. Our doctors and practice manager can provide you with a proposal specifically tailored to suit you.
For further information on Liposuction or to book a no obligation consultation with the Doctor or Julie , please either, call 03 9829 7777 or email us.