Liposuction is a very popular cosmetic surgery procedure for both men and women that involves targeted fat reduction to enhance your body shape.
Aesthetica, a Melbourne based cosmetic surgery, has over 25 year’s experience in performing body-changing (and life-changing) liposuction procedures for fat reduction and body sculpting.
These fat reduction procedures are a highly effective solution to reduce those problem areas.
Our doctors consult and provide all levels of liposuction in Melbourne for fat reduction, from a small area with minimal invasive local anaesthesia procedures, through to large area (full body) liposuction with general anaesthesia.
This procedure works because it removes fat cells permanently.
After puberty your body does not create new fat cells, instead when you gain weight the fat cells you already have expand.
Should you gain weight after the treatment, it goes to the fat cells that remain in your body. It is better to think of liposculpture in Melbourne as a permanent body contouring or fat reduction procedure rather than a permanent weight loss procedure.
The most frequent areas treated by liposuction in men are the waist, chest, abdomen and neck.
In women there are more areas of fatty deposits. The most common areas for this type of fat reduction and body sculpting are outer thighs, inner thighs, abdomen and upper hips. The back, arms, buttocks, cheeks and chin, knees and lower legs and ankles are also options.
Is liposuction an appropriate procedure for me?
You have tried diet and exercise and lead a healthy life but cannot remove those bulges of fat – then you could be a good candidate to consider liposuction. You should also have realistic expectations and understand that liposuction is not a substitute for weight loss or a healthy lifestyle.
Your final result from your liposuction can be affected by of personal influences.These include your skin elasticity, skin quality, post-op compression, previous scars, and previous procedures.
The Aesthetica liposuction consultation in Melbourne
During your no-obligation free consultation an Aesthetica Doctor will discuss your options, meeting your expectations and the likely outcomes.
They will also discuss your previous medical history to determine your suitability for the procedure of liposculpture in Melbourne.
If your skin and body contouring needs are relatively minor you may find that you are a suitable candidate for our non-surgical fat reduction and skin tightening treatment RF body shaping.
What happens during the liposuction surgery?
At Aesthetica we perform the tumescent liposuction in Melbourne.
The liposuction surgery begins with tiny incisions (approx 3-4 mm), placed in an inconspicuous location where the tumescent solution is infused from.
This results in numbness of the area and constriction of blood vessels.
This leads to a painless and easy removal of unwanted fatty bulges.
Aesthetica liposuction surgery is performed under heavy sedation or general anaesthesia.
What happens after your liposuction procedure?
- You will be required to wear a compression garment for at least 4 to 6 weeks after your fat reduction procedure to help the skin to contract.
We supply the garments as part of your Aesthetica liposculpture in Melbourne.
The garments are made of strong lycra type material and are designed to hide under your clothing so no one need know you are wearing them.
Stockings may be required to be worn for up to 6 weeks or longer when the lower legs are treated.
- After your liposculpture procedure you may be given some medication to prevent swelling and infection. It is important you take this as instructed.
- You may experience some discomfort and stiffness initially. This will gradually disappear.
- Most patients tolerate the discomfort without the need for pain killers (e.g. Panadol).
- After the first day we recommend you walk for at least 30 minutes each day and otherwise continue with your normal activities.
- If you should go on a long car or plane trip, you must walk for at least 5 minutes every hour during the trip.
- You can return to non strenuous work within 2 days.
- You should wait at least 10 days after your liposuction fat reduction procedure before attempting more intense activity.If discomfort is experienced with any activity it should be discontinued.
- We also offer 3 complimentary Bodyflow treatments and massage to assist with healing and lymphatic drainage after your liposuction fat reduction procedure.
How will I look and feel after my liposuction procedure?
After your liposculpture procedure you may feel drowsy from the anaesthetic. It is important to have someone drive you home and stay overnight.
It will take about six weeks to see your final result.
We have lots of before and after photos to show you when you come in for a consultation.
You may experience the following after your procedure:
- Pain and stiffness is usually minimal and may last for several days.
- Tenderness at the treatment site may be felt for a number of weeks post operatively. This will vary depending upon several factors including the extent of the procedure and each patient’s personal pain tolerance.
- Touching the skin may notice some numbness. It does it usually disappears after several months.
- Bruising will be seen as skin discoloration usually black, blue or yellow and can last for 2-3 weeks.
- Swelling under the skin will occur in treatment areas especially knees and ankles and can last several weeks.
- If you experience undue pain or are uncertain about anything lease remember to contact Aesthetica immediately
At the time of your consultation risks and complications and their occurrences will be discussed.
Some, but not limited include
- Infection is rare
- Allergic reaction can occur with any medications.
It is important if you experience any reactions including rashes or itchy skin to immediately notify your doctor or go to your nearest casualty department.
- Heamatoma (collection of blood) or seroma (watery fluid) may develop and could require aspiration.
- Skin loss (sloughing) is extremely rare.
- Deep vein thrombosis is extremely rare
- Skin texture irregularities or lumpy areas rarely occur. These concerns are improved with post-operative massage.
- Patients are advised that while every effort is made to achieve a perfect contour and smooth skin result, this is not always possible.
Will liposuction get rid of cellulite?
Liposuction at Aesthetica is not performed to reduce cellulite. It may improve the appearance of cellulite and skin quality after the fat cells are removed. If you are looking for a cellulite treatment you may want to investigate our RF Cellulite Reduction treatment.
Alternately we can provide a complete package designed specifically for your body shaping, skin quality and condition. It could include both surgical and non surgical options. Such as liposculpture, cellulite treatment and lifestyle management if required.
For more information on cellulite reduction treatments. Accent RF is a great option for cellulite and excess skin
How much does liposuction cost?
Every case is different and every patient has their own specific requirements and expectations. Therefore it is hard to give an exacting price for every procedure.
Our doctors and patient advisor can provide you with a proposal specifically tailored to suit you.